Logistics Coordinator - Khartoum - Sudan - M/F
ALIMA in SUDAN
ALIMA has been present in Sudan since 2021 with projects in South Kordofan and Khartoum states responding to urgent health and nutrition needs of populations affected by conflict and the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2023, ALIMA plans to open a new project in North Darfur and expand the ongoing project in South Kordofan, depending upon the availability of donor funds.
The coordination team, including the Logistics Coordinator, is based in Khartoum with several movements to the field in order to support the project team and ensure smooth operations on the ground. In addition to this support, the coordination will be responsible to analyze and propose new operations, renew and update the legal and administrative framework, and strengthen relations with Federal and state authorities, MoH, and partners (UN, INGOs, NGOs, and Donors) in the country.
ALIMA conducted two exploratory missions in Khartoum in May 2021 and one in South Kordofan in August 2021 which led to the opening of two projects and a subsequent exploratory mission in North Darfur in October 2022:
- In August 2021, ALIMA
launched a project supporting the Omdurman Isolation Center in the capital
Khartoum in collaboration with the Sudanese Federal Ministry of Health. ALIMA
teams facilitated the management of COVID-19 cases in the center through human
resources support and training, as well as providing medical supplies
(medicines and equipment). In February
2022, ALIMA worked to increase access to medical oxygen by installing a PSA
(Pressure Swing Adsorption) Oxygen Plant at the Al Shaab Hospital, a 350-bed
specialist referral hospital for cardiac and respiratory diseases in Khartoum
which also is designated as a referral COVID-19 Treatment Center for severe
cases. The new PSA Oxygen Plant provides general wards and the operating
theater direct access to oxygen. MoH staff have been trained in Oxygen Therapy
for optimal case management and on preventive and curative maintenance of key
In November 2021 ALIMA launched activities to support comprehensive emergency obstetrics and newborn care in the Maternity Department of the Kadugli Teaching Hospital in South Kordofan. In 2022, ALIMA increased its coverage of health and nutrition needs in the region with additional support for primary healthcare services at two public health centers and three mobile clinics in the Kadugli and Reif Arshargi localities. Subsequently, ALIMA further increased its activities supporting inpatient treatment in the Maternity and Paediatric wards. In January 2023, ALIMA implemented a rapid response to the influx of over 6,500 people newly displaced by conflict in Al Lagawa (West Kordofan) gathered at the Kadugli Bus Station Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Camp.
In 2023, ALIMA will continue its activities in South Kordofan with additional nutrition activities for the treatment of Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) and open a new project in North Darfur to support primary healthcare centers in two IDP Camps and a nutrition Stabilization Center.
The main activities to come will consist of:
In the short term:
- Obtain the necessary customs clearance and tax exemptions for the importation of international medical order;
- Support the opening of a new project base in El Fasher, North Darfur: Identify, assess, and the rental of an office and guesthouse, framework agreements with vendors for vehicles, fuel, etc.;
- Coordinate the procurement and transportation of essential supplies and equipment for the start of new project activities in South Kordofan and North Darfur;
- Recruit the necessary logistics staff to implement project activities.
In the mid-to-long term
- Build the capacity of logistics staff in the mission and reinforce ALIMA’s policies and procedures;
- Ensure close follow up and maintenance of ALIMA’s assets, equipment, and facilities;
- Liaise with other humanitarian partners, UN agencies, and local and national authorities for the coordinated delivery of humanitarian assistance to beneficiaries.MISSION LOCATION: Khartoum, Sudan, with frequent travels to the project areas.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
- He/she reports to the Head of Mission-HoM (line manager).
- He/she refers technically to the Logistics Desk Referent.
- He/she is the referent for the Project Logistics Managers and the mission logistics teams.
- He/she works in close collaboration with the Coordinators (medical, logistics and projects, and other staff).
PROTECTION OF BENEFICIARIES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS
Level 3: As part of his/her duties, the incumbent will visit programs and come into contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. Therefore, a criminal record check or a certificate of good character will be required. In situations where a criminal record check or character reference is not available, a statement of good character will be required.
MISSION: The Logistics Coordinator must define the objectives and technical orientations of the mission, propose strategies consistent to support the medical and humanitarian needs of the areas of intervention and provide technical support to all the mission's logistics teams.
EXPERIENCE and SKILLS
● Essential, Degree/diploma: Degree and specialization in Humanitarian Logistics
● Minimum of 2 years of demonstrable relevant logistics experience.
● Medical logistics knowledge (biomed equipment, wash, etc..) is an asset
● Working experience at management positions is essential.
● Working experience with International medical NGO, an asset.
● Experience in emergency and degraded security contexts strongly preferred
● Computer skills, including advanced level of Excel and GSuite
Qualities of the candidate
● Excellent organizational skills: The candidate must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize responsibilities, and ensure that all logistics operations are executed effectively and efficiently.
● Strong problem-solving skills: The logistics coordinator must be able to anticipate and respond to challenges and develop innovative solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
● Effective communication skills: A logistics coordinator must have excellent communication skills to liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including team members, partners, suppliers, and beneficiaries. Effective communication is essential for the successful coordination of logistics operations.
● Flexibility and adaptability: A logistics coordinator must be able to work in unpredictable and challenging environments, often with limited resources and under tight deadlines. They must be adaptable and flexible in their approach to overcome unexpected obstacles and adjust to changing circumstances.
● Technical expertise: The logistics coordinator must have technical expertise in logistics and supply chain management, including procurement, transportation, warehousing, and inventory management. They must be familiar with relevant laws and regulations and possess knowledge of best practices in logistics for humanitarian aid operations.
● Fluency in English (oral and written) essential;
● Fluency in Arabic or French is an asset.
Contract term: 6 months renewable
Desired start date: May 2023
Salary: Depending on experience + Perdiem
ALIMA pays for:
● Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
● Accommodation costs
● Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee and their dependents
● Evacuation of the employee
HOW TO APPLY?
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to our page.
Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. ALIMA reserves the right to close the offer before the initial deadline if an application is accepted. Only complete applications (CV in PDF format + cover letter in PDF format) will be considered.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.